This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click on a link.
Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary is coming up on October 1, 2021. Disney has been getting busy preparing for this event. Disney is always updating and adjusting our experiences at Disney World. We will see a lot of new attractions when the 50th Anniversary in October 2021 occurs. Epcot will probaby see the most changes. If it has been a while since you have visited, expect the parks to be a lot different than what you remember.
We are excited for all these changes coming to Disney World. Disney will be introducing new attractions, restaurants and experiences for guests of all ages. There are currently over 20 new attractions and/or attraction renovations in preparation for the 50th anniversary. Who knows how many other renovations will be accomplished before October 20212.
Hollywood Studios recently added Toy Story Land and Galaxy’s Edge. Magic Kingdom is finishing up some large renovations of the moat around Cinderella’s castle. Animal Kingdom’s Rafiki’s Planet Watch reopened during the summer of 2019 after being closed for renovations.
Below is the current list of construction projects that we know about happening around Walt Disney World. It seems to be that Disney World is currently focusing the majority of their renovations on Epcot presently. However, the 50th Anniversary is still 2 years away, so they can easily add other projects.
- Tron Coaster- (Magic Kingdom, Opening 2021)- This attraction is based on a park favorite Tron Lightcycle Power Run at the Shanghai Park. Guest will ride a two-wheeled Lightcycle in a thrilling race.
- Epcot Forever (Epcot World Showcase Set to debut on October 1, 2019 at 9p. This nighttime spectacular will replace Illuminations: Reflections of Earth, while Imagineers work on the newest firework show at the World’s showcase. Epcot Forever will take viewers through the story of Epcot and its journey. The show will lead us through an epic night time journey of everything we love about Epcot and everything that is coming of Epcot.
- Space 2020 (Epcot, Opening Winter 2019)- The Mission Space pavilion is getting a new culinary experience, which will transport guests from earth to 220 miles into space. A special elevator will transport you up to the space station for dinner. Along the way you will be able to enjoy daytime and nighttime views of earth from 220 miles up.
- Regal Eagle Smokehouse: Craft Drafts & Barbecue (Epcot, Opening Late 2019/Spring 2020). This new location is going to be a modern smokehouse, giving BBQ lovers all the familiar sights and smells they love when they think of BBQ. Regal Eagle Smokehouse will replace the Liberty Inn Restaurant.
- Land’s Pavilion’s film “Awesome Planet”- (Epcot, Opening January 17, 2020)- A new film which will feature a dynastic story of our planet.
- Beauty and the Beast Sing-along (Epcot World Showcase, Opening January 17, 2020). This is the first of many new attractions heading to the World showcase, this is the first of 3 new attractions heading to the France Pavilion.
- Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360 (Epcot World Showcase, Opening January 17, 2020). Not a lot of details have been released regarding this show. However, it will replace the current Canada show.
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventures- (Epcot World Showcase, Opening Summer 2020)- Is expected to be very similar to the one at Disneyland. Where guests shrink down to the size of Chef Remy and race through Gusteau’s restaurant on a wild adventure.
- Le Creperie de Paris restaurant- (Epcot World Showcase, Opening Summer 2020)- This new Restaurant in the French pavilion of the world showcase will offer table and quick service featuring menu from chef Jerome Bocuse.
- HarmonioUS- (Epcot World Showcase, Late 2020/Spring 2021). When HarmonioUS debuts at the World Showcase it will be the largest nighttime spectacular ever created. Celebrate how the music of Disney inspires people of the world. The show will feature massive floating set pieces, custom-built LED panels, choreographed moving fountains, lights, pyrotechnics, lasers and more.
- Journey of Water, inspired by “Moana” (Epcot, Opening 2021) This experience is the first experience inspired by Walt Disney Animation Studio film in which guests will be able to interact with the living water in an inspiring setting.
- Guardian of Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind- (Epcot, Opening Summer 2021). When this attraction opens in the Summer of 2021, it will be one of the largest fully enclosed roller coasters and will be Disney’s first reverse launch roller coaster.
- Play Pavilion (Epcot, Opening Fall 2021)- This new pavilion is taking a note out of the original concept for Epcot. The Play Pavilion will be a space devoted to features that you would expect to see in an innovative city. The pavilion’s city will be a digital metropolis, be an interactive city with games, activities and experiences that connect with beloved Disney characters. The Play Pavilion will be repacking the the Wonder of Life pavilion.
- Mary Poppinn inspired attraction (Epcot World Showcase, Opening Unknown). Cherry Tree lane will join the United Kingdom Pavilion, as a new neighborhood. Take a step down Cherry Tree Lane past Admiral Boom’s House, Enter house #17 where the adventure begins.
- Spaceship earth (Epcot, Opening Unknown)- new narration and new musical score moments and ideas that define our story.
- Dreamers Point (Epcot, Opening Unknown). As you exit Spaceship earth, guests will discover breathtaking views of World Showcase.
- New Event Pavilion (Epcot, Opening Unknown). The new pavilion will be constructed where the current World Showcase Plaza is located. This new pavilion will be the new home base for all of Epcot’s signature festivals. This pavilion will be a three story structure and is said to provide stunning views of the World Showcase.
- Star Wars: Rise of Resistance (Hollywood Studios, Opening Dec 5, 2019). With the recent opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Disney is putting the finishing touches on the 2nd ride for this area of Hollywood Studios. According to Disney World, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be a massive, multi-platform, attraction that is like nothing we have experienced. When you step onto this ride you will be accepting a mission from the Resistance to fight the First Order, who are desperate to eliminate the Resistance.
- Mickey and Minnie Railways (Hollywood Studios, March 4, 2020)- Guests will step into the Chinese Theatre and be thrown directly into the cartoon world for a Goofy adventure aboard Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railroad. This attraction will be inspired by the Mickey Mouse cartoon.
- Roundup Rodeo BBQ Table Service Restaurant (Hollywood Studios, Opening Late 2020/Early 2021). The restaurant be based on rodeo festivities. This restaurant will provide much needed seating and indoor space in the new Toy Story land.
- Disney Rivera Hotel (Opening December 2019). The newest Disney Vacation Club Resort will provide a European feel with its castles and fairy-tale villages.
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruise- One of Disney’s latest resort concepts, providing guests a unique experience into the Star Wars. This hotel experience will be unlike any other hotels around. Will require a minimum of a 2 night stay in which guests will be transported into a Galactic starcruiser.
- Reflection- A disney lakeside village (Opening 2022). Another Disney Vacation Club resort is being constructed near Disney Ft Wilderness Campground.
- Ron Jon Surf Shop- (Disney Springs, Opening Fall 2019)- The newest store to Disney Springs is Ron Jon Surf shop in Town Center. This store will provide all your beach essentials.
- Ample HIll Cremery- Ice cream for the Northerners in the South. Even tons of uniquely flavored ice cream. Many flavors inspired by the local surrounding.
- Beatrix- Replacing the former Bongos Restaurant. Beatrix will bring a flair of local flair with a good mix of healthy options. The restaurant will include a bakery and a full service bar.
With all these upcoming attractions and changes to various attractions around Disney World. We will see many of our favorite attractions closing. It may be a temporary closure or a permanent closure to allow for a new attraction.
- No Attractions scheduled to permanently close at this time
Make sure you follow us on Facebook and checkout our photos of the various construction projects happening around Walt Disney World.
What is your favorite upcoming attraction to Disney World? What attraction are you sad to see go?